How do I obtain and apply a VeriSign SSL certificate?
A VeriSign SSL certificate can be obtained through the Administration Suite or CLI. For more information on using the CLI method, see Obtaining and Applying An SSL Certificate Using the CLI.
Obtaining a VeriSign SSL Certificate
Do the following:
1. Log in to the Administration Suite as an administrator.
2. Select Security > Certificates. The enrollment wizard begins.
3. Cross to the bottom of the page and click Start Enrollment.
4. The follow page outlines the process. Read this carefully before continuing, then click Proceed.
5. Follow the instructions provided by VeriSign. VeriSign will ask for information, including:
- The physical location of your company and its legal name.
- The type of certificate that you want, VeriSign offers several different kinds.
- The type of server. Do not indicate "Microsoft," as the certificate might not apply to the Mirapoint appliance. Indicate "other" or "Apache."
- The name of your Server which is the fully qualified domain name of the website you want to secure.
- The name of your department within your company.
- The contact information of the person who should receive the Server ID.
- The contact information of the person responsible for providing organizational information upon request.
- The contact information for the person responsible for providing payment.
6. Complete the procedure steps on the Authentication and Verification page and click Continue.
Generating a certificate can take anywhere from ten minutes to one hour. After submitting your request, you can log out.
Installing the VeriSign Certificate
VeriSign emails you an order number and the Pickup Certificate page. After you receive this email:
- If you logged out of the Administration Suite, log in again as an administrator.
- Select Security > Certificates.
- Complete the steps outlined in the Administration Suite on the Authentication and Verification page.
- From the Pickup Certificate page, enter the order number in the text box and click Pickup Certificate. The certificate is then installed on your appliance, which may take a few minutes.
Keep a backup copy of the certificate information. Use the Ssl Getcert command to display the certificate information, then save the output in a text file.
NOTE: Once your certificate is installed, do not run the CLI Ssl Newcert command or click Reset, because it replaces and destroys your VeriSign certificate; it is not possible to retrieve your certificate once this happens.
Please sign in to leave a comment.