When would the forward excerpt filter option be used, and what is the proper way to construct this type of mail filter?
After creating a mailbox for a user on a newly installed Mirapoint appliance, you may want notification delivered to the user's former primary mail system when they receive mail in the Mirapoint mailbox, without having to forward their emails.
If you want notification for every email delivered, use the forward excerpt (Fwdexcerpt) option (available in release 2.8.1) with the Filter command, or as of 3.4, in a filter created in the Administration Suite.
The following is an example of creating a forward excerpt filter using the CLI:
- mailbox=mbox is the scope which indicates the name of the mailbox will be in the form of user.loginid.
- Notify Old is the text name given to this filter.
- "(dest=user@host)" is the Fwdexcerpt destination address that may contain up to five of the following LDAP macros, although no actual LDAP lookup is performed:
- $(login) which is the same as $(mbox)@$(domain)
- Allof requires that all of the specified rules must be true for the action to be taken on a message.
- Stop specifies that if this filter's action is taken on a message, filter processing on the message should stop.
- The "." is entered on a line by itself after any filter rules to indicate you have finished the command string. Each filter can have zero or more rules, which determine whether an action is taken on a message. A filter with zero rules and the Allof argument specified means the filter is always true. A filter with zero rules and the Anyof argument specified means the filter is always false.
If you want notification of the first message to push the count of unread messages over 0, use Log Watch.
To use the Administration Suite to create a forward excerpt filter, from the Home page navigate to Content Filtering > Advanced, and select the values as indicated in the CLI filter example provided in this article. For more information on using the Administration Suite, see the online help.
For more information on filters and rules, see the Mirapoint Administration Protocol Reference for your software release.