How do I set up Sent/Draft IMAP folders?
Outlook can either store sent mail on the local appliance or on the IMAP Server. The default Outlook setup is to have Sent Items/Drafts on the IMAP server with a root folder of double quotes (""). When sent mail is stored on the local appliance it can't be accessed from the IMAP server, and when sent mail is stored on the IMAP server, shared folders can't be viewed. The steps below describe how to configure where sent mail is stored, and include a workaround that allows you to both see shared folders and have sent items stored on the IMAP server.
Configuring Where Mail is Stored
Do the following in Outlook Express:
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Select your IMAP server from the Accounts list.
- Click the Properties button.
- Select the IMAP tab.
- To store mail on the IMAP server, make sure Root folder path: is set to inbox and that Store special folders on IMAP server is checked.
- To store mail on the local server, make sure Root folder path: is empty and uncheck Store special folders on IMAP server.
Seeing Shared Folders and Sent Items on the IMAP Server
To see shared folders and store sent items on the IMAP server, do the following:
- In Outlook Express, configure sent mail to be stored on the local server, as described above.
- Create a subfolder of the inbox named Inbox.Sent Items.
- Use a web browser to log in to the Administration Suite.
- Click the Message Filters link.
- In the Add New Filter fields, accept the ALL default, and filter on From:yourEmailAddress and To: yourEmailAddress.
- Choose to move the email to the folder named Inbox.Sent Items.
- CC yourself on all email.
The filter moves the mail on which you are cc'd into your Sent Items folder on the IMAP server.