What is the procedure for backing up with the FastStor Autoloader?
NOTE: Before reading this article, Mirapoint highly recommends reading the latest version of the Mirapoint Backup and Restore Guide.
This article provides setup instructions. For complete information on the autoloader, see the FastStor Autoloader Installation and Maintenance manual.
NOTE: The instructions in this document are only for configuring this approved device for use with administration protocol Backup and Restore.
When using the administration protocol Backup and Restore commands, the autoloader must be in sequential mode. When using NDMP, the device should be set up in random mode.
Setting the Autoloader to Sequential Mode
If the operator-panel LCD reads "LDR READY," the autoloader is in random mode.
To change from sequential mode to random mode, do the following:
- With "LDR READY" displayed on the LCD screen, press and hold the Next key, then press the Mode key so that both keys are pressed and held simultaneously. Continue pressing both keys until "DIAG MENU" appears (for approximately five seconds).
- Press the Mode key three times until "CHG MODE" appears.
- Press the Select key. The current operating mode appears (random or sequential). To select an alternate operating mode, press the Next key, then the Select key; "CYCLE PWR" appears.
- Press the Prw key for several seconds to power down the autoloader.
- Press the Prw key again to resume power in the new operating mode.
- Reboot your Mirapoint appliance.
NOTE: Whenever the autoloader mode is changed the FastStor unit needs to be power cycled. If the FastStor is power cycled, the Mirapoint head unit also needs to be rebooted.
Accessing and Replacing Data Cartridges
To access and replace data cartridges, do the following:
- When the autoloader resumes power and "SEQ READY" is displayed on the LCD, press the Mode key.
- When "STOP SEQ" is displayed, press the Select key.
- When "SEQ DONE" is displayed, load all the tapes into the holding slots.
NOTE: Make sure either "LDR READY" (random mode), or "SEQ READY" (sequential mode) is displayed on the LCD before removing or inserting data cartridges.
Unloading the Data Cartridges
To unload slots 6 and 7 in the rear of the autoloader, do the following:
NOTE: Although the autoloader does not require all seven data cartridges to operate, installing seven cartridges maximizes your data storage capacity. Alternatively, you can use one of the cartridge slots to permanently store a cleaning cartridge.
Starting the Backup Process
The autoloader is now ready to receive backup CLI commands.
Backup-23138 processed 1 message
This aborts the ongoing backup job and issues an eject command. The loaded tape is mechanically returned to the parking slot, and the next tape below loaded into the tape drive. The autoloader is now ready for the next backup command.
Please sign in to leave a comment.