Client manifestation: Outlook Sync v 13.0.0.X
Server environment: Deep Castle 1, Deep Castle 2
Fix version : 22.214.171.124
We have encountered that several customers had trouble activating their Outlook Sync license on client stations. With initial versions of Outlook Sync 13 there was issue with deactivation and online activation of stations. Being unable to deactivate client led most users to plain uninstall of addon with the activation lingering on the Licensing server. For small sized customers this could lead to exhausting of activation counts for Outlook Sync in server license and prompt about no more activations.
This issue could be worked around by manually navigating to the License manager and removing the lingering activations.
Then, to work around the online activation issue, the manual copy - paste of license from user WebClient could be done to activate station successfully.
For some users the License prompt was returning after restart of Outlook.
(This could be identified by "silent" accept of license and working till the restart of Outlook. e.g. the "Thank you for activation" window did not appear).
The missing confirmation prompt was caused by not reaching license server correctly. This could be caused by the licensing server not being available from the station. (Either by firewall on gateway, or by rights of local user to edit registry entries tied to license whilst being started in non-elevated mode)
Those stations where activation failed either received Trial license or required the activation again after restart.
For those that activated successfully, additional common error for Outlook Addins could manifest at this point - Automatic disabling of addons marked as "Slow" by Outlook and follow-up dropping of the IceWarp Sync tab. (More on that below)
The repeated prompt for activation could show up as well in case of major hardware change, update to Windows 10 20H2 October update or network change after successful activation. For the stations that did previously activate correctly, this could be fixed just by entering license again.
For provisional build, multiple activations could then show up in Licensing manager for user. These should be cleared to prevent exhausting the pool.
The above issues with licensing were surpassed and fixed in the new official release, which is available for download on our official site.
-- Please note that licenses for Outlook Sync are pooled in the Order-ID (Server license)
-- More activations by same key are possible, but the activations are substracted from the pool and shown in licensing manager under the user. (For example when there are 5 meeting rooms activated by one user key)
-- By default, one activation is allowed for user. We recommend setting desired numbers of activations for regular as well as special users to ease navigation and management in Licensing manager.
-- Client station of Outlook Sync should show valid license expiry for your server license (Order-ID), for On-premise customers this is mostly 1 year, for Cloud customers it is based on their payment plan.
2) Addon disabling and registry entries (Connector issues)
The customers who have issues with the IceWarp Sync icon vanishing after start, including vanish during cancelation of trial license prompt, after license prompt entry and importing license key, or during Outlook restart should try to start Outlook Sync with “Run as Administrator” option in right click menu. Then it is recommended to check registry entries for Load Behavior and automatic disabling of components marked as slow by Outlook.
More about the disabling can be found here:
-- Following registry entries on client stations are enforced by 126.96.36.199 installer:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList (DWORD 32bit) IceWarp Outlook Sync 1
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Addins\IceWarp Outlook Sync (DWORD 32bit) LoadBehavior 3
3) Run as administrator -- Mentioned entries may be rewritten in some environments either by installing or by starting Outlook Sync as non-elevated user, therefore it is always good to check registry path for change and enforce these entries if needed. (May be rewritten again by regedit file attached to this article)
This issue manifested with Windows 20H2 update and is currently being investigated. Preliminary reports point to changes in local domain permission handling vs. Microsoft account login permissions handling.
We recommend adding run as administrator option to the shortcut.
Step 1: Checking and cleaning license activation counts in License manager
Before installation of new build, it is good to check whether a user is currently licensed in License manager to prevent exceeding license activation counts and ease the management of licenses.
-- License manager can be accessed at https://shop.icewarp.com/license/manage_license.php by entering your Order-ID or via. Remote console by Manage licenses button in Help-License window.
- Previously activated devices for a user can be identified by username, activation time and Ref-ID. (Either in Form-License-Dialog prompt shown or in device registry path before update to latest version)
- Registry path = Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, where it should be shown in the form of Key. Please note that the scheme was changed in new builds and will no longer show up as displayed below.
- If you find any lingering activations in License Manager that point to unused devices, remove them prior to new activation attempt.
- At this point, you can choose to erase all activations and regenerate new license with the defined amount of activations to comply with licensing policy. (Setting count and regenerating license for IceWarp Desktop Client in the screenshot. Feature is also disabled for a user – Service entry marked pink) For Outlook Sync key regeneration pick correct entry in License dropdown menu marked green.
Step 2: Outlook Sync addon update
After cleaning up unused devices and having free activation slot you can proceed with Outlook Sync update.
Step 3: Obtaining the license
When the installation is finished, and Outlook started the license should be obtained online from the IceWarp server and activated. This can be again checked trough License manager.
- Please make sure that https://licenseprocessor.icewarp.com (IceWarp Shop) is accessible from the server during client activation.
- If for some reason connection is not established, users can manually Copy and Paste activation key from Webmail - Settings - Licenses tab Outlook Sync to Form-license-dialog prompt on the desired station.
Step 4: Setting up mailing profile
In case any issues persist, the final step is creating a new profile for Outlook Sync.
- This creates a new working e-mail profile which can be checked in Control Panel - Mail on the device.
- On devices where more e-mail accounts are connected trough IMAP users might be concerned about those inboxes and e-mails.
- The best way is to connect and synchronize them again in a new profile, however, if for some reason this cannot be done (f.e. old discontinued POP3 account), the option is to export desired files to .pst and import them to newly created mailing profile.
The new official build can be downloaded from our website or by following link:
Regedit for pushing entries attached.